Why the Accuplacer Test
Northeast Community College Placement Test
ACCUPLACER is an integrated system of computer-adaptive assessments designed to evaluate students’ skills in reading, writing, and mathematics. For over 30 years, ACCUPLACER has been used successfully to assess student preparedness for introductory credit-bearing college courses. ACCUPLACER delivers immediate and precise results, offering both placement and diagnostic tests, to support intervention and help answer the challenges of accurate placement and remediation.
Educators, counselors, and testing directors rely on ACCUPLACER’s quality and validity as they advise and support students in their academic and career journeys. Over 8.5 million ACCUPLACER tests are administered each year in more than 2,000 secondary and postsecondary institutions. ACCUPLACER connects over 2.5 million students to college and career opportunities.
If you are interested in ACCUPLACER and need to create an ACCUPLACER account, complete a new institution registration form at accuplacer.org.
ACCUPLACER Supports Students
- ACCUPLACER supports high school students, traditional college-bound students, and those pursuing career and technical education (CTE).
- ACCUPLACER helps high school and college educators advise students about course selection, preparation, and opportunities for success.
- ACCUPLACER offers a complete English as a Second Language (ESL) suite covering reading, language usage, listening, and writing to support placement decisions for English learners.
- ACCUPLACER encourages the use of multiple measures like high school GPA and other test scores in measuring students’ skills for placement purposes.
Three Integrated Components
- Placement assessments in reading, writing, mathematics, and computer skills to align students' knowledge and skills with course requirements.
- Diagnostic assessments in reading, writing, and mathematics to identify areas of strength and knowledge gaps.
- Skill-Building support in reading, writing, and mathematics to provide intervention tools that improve skills and increase readiness for college.
ACCUPLACER’s computer-adaptive design personalizes the test for each student. Each test question determines the difficulty level of the next. Final scores are based on the number of questions answered correctly and the difficulty level of the questions answered correctly. Educators can easily differentiate among test takers across a wide range of levels with fewer items and in less time than traditional tests.
Online Scoring. Immediate Feedback.
ACCUPLACER is an online system, so it’s easy and cost-effective to test many students at once.
Individual student score reports are available immediately after testing. Reports include student test scores, custom messages from the institution, and information about course placement based on institutional placement scores.